Categories

Monday 14 May 2012

Mud


This is my youngest daughter, Bekah.  We went to the park last week where she found a mud puddle and had a great time dancing in it.  I watched, cringing a little but amazed how happy she was.  Who can be stressed about laundry when this is the pure joy mud can create?

I have realised I am a logical consequences mom.  I skimmed a great book, "Honey, I Screwed up the Kids" a couple of years ago and it just made sense.  Are all the fights you have with your kids worth it?  If they go out without a coat, what will happen?  They will get cold and want to wear the one I always have in the car or stroller.  So far, no hypothermia at my house.  What happens if they don't eat lunch?  They will eat a healthy snack an hour later.  Well fed kids in my house.  What will happen if they take a bath in a mud puddle? They'll be dirty and need a real bath....like Bekah did.

There is a time and a place and a need to choose fights with your kids.  When they're doing something unsafe, rude, or simply something I can't handle letting them do, I put my foot down.  I choose dumb fights too...I hate letting my two year old choose what to wear.  She has so many gorgeous clothes but always wants to wear things that don't match or aren't season appropriate.  Stupidly, I sometimes bully her into wearing what I want.

I really was the best parent ever before I had kids....

No comments:

Post a Comment